Ladies Club: Stevie Howell
We caught up with one of our very favorite local ladies and TS model, Stevie Howell, just the other week and threw our Ladies Club Questionnaire at her and kindly asked her to let us in on her SF pad and her favorite ways of wearing Taylor Stitch. She was happy to oblige, so long as we didn't mind the company of her darling sidekick, Lucy. What we love about Stevie is how she manages to balance her love of both art and design alongside a strong business sense. She shows limited edition prints with the Tappan Collective in LA, produces her own line of textiles here in SF, and has designed a line of wallpaper and bedding for Anthropologie. So needless to say, when she's not in front of our lens (see our Denim Project Jacket and recent Midi Skirt), she can be found in her East Bay studio (an old Levi's factory) working on her line and her art. Her interest lying in the juxtaposition of the digital process and the hand drawn touch, merging her background of painting and photography into one. She's one thoroughly modern lady and we happily welcome her to our Ladies Club...
- Where did you grow up? San Francisco
- How do you stay busy? Making art and designing textiles
- How do you decompress? I cook! I've been canning my way through this great cookbook—right now I have a kitchen full of pickles, jams, cordials and my favorite so far, the Canadian Ketchup. In my most stressful times, I take it out on kneading dough and then slathering a warm piece of fresh baked bread in delicious salty butter.
- Place you'd most like to live? I would love to live in so many places, but right now I feel very happy to be back in my hometown.
- Style icon? My mom and my sister
- Favorite meal? See above. Also anything japanese, anything with avocado and anything that involves a piece of ripe fruit.
- Wardrobe essentials? Scarves and stripes
- Best accessory? Lucy.
- Ideal trip? I always try to find a special combination of art and nature. Last year it was the Lightning Field (an amazing, magic place...go!) and the year before that Inhotim in Brazil (another unreal, dreamy spot but in the exact opposite way of the Lightening Field). The ultimate destination...Roden Crater.
- Style mantra? Stealing from Vivianne Westwood on this one—"Buy less. Choose well".